About TOAST.net Internet Service
TOAST.net has been a leader in Internet, business, and cloud services for nearly two decades. See how we can help you!

16 Responses to When Normal Becomes Frustrating

1. Rick says:

I have a question! I have a @toast.net email account. I would like to have a copy of my emails to that account sent to my account @mylink.net (a sub-account), while keeping the email on the server of the @toast.net account.
    Is that possible ?

2. Rick,

Yes, this is possible:

-Click the gear icon at the top of the email page and choose “Mail settings.”

-Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.

-From the first drop-down menu in the “Forwarding” section, select ‘Add new email address.’

-Enter the email address to which you’d like your messages forwarded.

-For your security, we’ll send a verification to that email address. It can take up to 15 minutes to be received.

-Open your forwarding email account, and find the confirmation message from the Gmail team.

-Click the verification link in that email.

-Back in your Gmail account, select the ‘Forward a copy of incoming mail to…’ option and select your forwarding address from the drop-down menu.

-Select the action you’d like your messages to take from the drop-down menu. You can choose to keep a copy of the message in your inbox, or you can send it automatically to All Mail or Trash.

-Click Save Changes.

3. Rick says:

Thank you, Doug! That worked just fine. I knew there was a forwarding option of some kind, I just wanted to make sure I could keep a copy at the @toast.net inbox.

Thanks again!

4. kitchenmudge says:

I must differ about webmail. Really. I’ve had very little trouble with the email clients that I use, and see much that’s inconvenient about webmail. I wrote about some common causes of email troubles here:
    a while back.

• OK, so what happens when you get a new computer? How about if you want to check your mail from another location? What if you had to set up an office of 50 computers with email?

These are the reasons people are fleeing email clients. Also, if you use a browser like Chrome or Firefox, you can even drag and drop messages and attachments just like a local client. You are now even able to use Google mail products offline. I maintain that using an email program is a thing of the past.

• kitchenmudge says:

When you get a new computer, you install the email client and copy over the address book and mailbox files.

You can still use webmail to check incoming stuff when you’re on the road. An email client at home doesn’t preclude that.

I personallly have never had to worry about the needs of 50 employees at an office, but many people have their own laptops, which they might prefer to use at the office. The email client can be set up to download from several accounts, if the company doesn’t mind business stuff getting on the employee’s personal laptop. Control considerations for the company could come into play there, of course, and that could work either way for whether webmail is better or worse. My rant cited above mentions some other downsides to webmail.

5. kitchenmudge,

OK, that’s fine, now consider that the vast majority of the computer using population has absolutely no idea what a POP3 or IMAP server is, what port numbers are, or how to import an address book. Like their TV’s, iPods, and microwave ovens, they expect to be able to plug a computer in and have it work.

Mail clients do still have their uses, but for the vast majority, webmail is where all the development is going. I took a look at your blog and most if not all of the objections you listed have been overcome. The only thing it does not handle well at this point is multiple accounts, and Google has actually made a lot of advanced in that area to date (multiple sign-in and linking accounts is now available, as is multiple “From” sending options.)

There’s a reason Windows 7 didn’t have a client included by default. You might want to take another look at it.

• kitchenmudge says:

I didn’t have any great trouble setting up a riseup account by their instructions when I was a raw noob setting up a riseup account. (Example: https://help.riseup.net/en/thunderbird This is what an email provider gives you if it believes in customer service at all. Riseup is all-volunteer.)

You’re saying that development has somehow overcome that need to be connected to the web to work with your email files? That no one ever puts system-hogging ads on web mail pages any more? The reason that Windows 7 didn’t include a client by default is probably that they want to sell you Outlook. (Thunderbird is free.)

• Yes, Gmail can open .eml files now. Web ads only show up in free versions of email (corporate users do not get ads).

Windows 7 did not come with an email client because they want you to use either Hotmail, or you can download Windows Live (which includes a bloated update to Windows Mail from Vista). Thunderbird is free and very good, but it still requires some knowledge to configure.

6. kitchenmudge says:

Ok, I’m confused by “Gmail can open .eml files now.” Are you saying that there’s some Gmail software that you can use without being connected to the web? That would mean that you have downloaded an email client to your machine. You are using and email client, not webmail, by definition.

• If you use the Google Talk email extension, open email links, and there are add-ons for .eml files (which are really rarely seen anymore.)

7. Craig Pangus says:

What about bandwith & usage? If I check email 2-3 times daily from a client program like Outlook Express am I conserving usage versus openning my internet browser home page, then the toast start page, then my account, then mail? Many days I don’t open the internet browser at all.

I did just get a cell phone with a browser, but haven’t progressed to accessing email on it yet as I don’t travel much.

nearly a kurmudgeon

• The difference between the two methods is negligible. Mail pulled into a mail client is not “compressible”, where mail pulled up through a web browser is, so the overall usage will be in the same ballpark.

If you need help getting your phone set up for email (and contacts/calendars as well), be sure to check out our email setup wizard: http://www.toast.net/support/emailsettingwizard.asp

• kitchenmudge says:

The main difference is that with web mail, you must maintain a nice solid internet connection to do anything at all with it: every character you type, every little “delete” or “look at this folder” command.

With a local client, you only need to connect to actively send and receive, and can work offline most of the time.

8. This blog is nice and amazing. I love your post! It’s also nice to see someone who does a lot of research and has a great knack for ting, which is pretty rare from bloggers these days.
    Thanks!
    Blood pressure

9. Rosetta says:

Probiotics are essential for our body because they help
    in synthesizing certain fatty acids and vitamins in the
    body to support a healthy body and strong immune system.
    I can provide at least a dozen more testimonies of people
    who committed to the five steps aforementioned.

Exercise and diet are the two most popular means of losing
    weight.

Tell me what's on your mind!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,475 other followers